Tuesday, March 01, 2005

The Court of Appeals Archive in Acrobat

Just for the fun of it, I imported into Acrobat all the cases from the Court of Appeals on-line archive from the first case on January 5th, 1999, through yesterday, February 28th, 2005. I don't know how many cases there are, but the file is 32,406 pages long, and the PDF file is 137 megabytes.

It took almost eight hours for Acrobat to download and convert the files even with DSL, so I don't recommend the procedure for dial-up connections.

The file came out quite nicely, though. The cases appear in chronological order, and each Acrobat created a bookmark for each. I guess I could find out how many cases there are by figuring out a way to count the bookmarks, minus one, for the table of contents, which is just the Court of Appeals archive web page, which links to all of the cases in the file by name, just as the web page does.

I don't know if it is going to be useful or not. At the moment, I think it's pretty nifty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Michael. We have missed you and your wonderful talent for separating the wheat from the chaff in appellate decisions on the Blakeley line.

A single file of appellate decisions containing 137 MB of data? Wow. Now I know what kind of fellow it is that keeps the hard drive manufacturers in business!